If you’re about to purchase an electric bike, the first concern you’ll have is while deciding its power. Although electric bikes have different motor power levels from 250w to 1000w and more, 250w and 500 are the most common ones. And you might want to get one from these power ranges.
So, what is the difference between 250w and 500w motor on an ebike?
Both these powered motors offer different advantages and usability. You, therefore, need to decide your purpose for using the ebike in the first place. The basic differences you’ll find between them are in the speed and the climbing power. Torque and weight limit are also among the primary differences.
Let’s get to know all about both the motor types and all the differences between them.
Electric Bike 250w Motor
250-watt electric bike motors are one of the most popular electric bike motors widely popular for being very reliable. This size motor offers a cool look since it’s small and lightweight. Most importantly, this level of motor power is cheaper than higher power levels.
This motor-powered electric bike is good for a lightweight person and offers a decent speed limit. Want to know more about 250w electric bike motors? Here we’ve included the pros and cons of 250-watt motor, have a look:
Electric 500W Motor
On the other hand, if you wish to get an electric bike with 500 watt motor power, it should be a great choice. That is because high performance 500watt electric bikes offer good speed and flexible uphill riding.
Moreover, a 500-watt motor-powered electric bike is also suitable for medium-weight individuals as well. Well, like a 250w motor, here we’ve included pros and cons of a 500w electric bike’s motor. Have a look:
What Is The Difference Between 250w And 500w Motor On An E-Bike?
Wondering what is the difference between a 250w and 500w motor on an e-bike. Well, there are a lot of differences that you’ll find in these two different sizes of electric bike motors. Some of the key differences are included below, have a look:
The core difference you’ll find between 250 watt and 500 watt electric bike motors is the speed limit. Wondering what the difference in speed between these two different-sized motors is? Check out the section below:
- 250 Watt Electric Bike Motor: With a 250 watt motor, you can reach a maximum speed of 15 – 20 miles per hour with your electric bike (full throttle.) 20 mph or 32.1869 kph is a pretty decent speed to use your e-bike for different purposes.
- 500 Watt Electric Bike Motor: On the other hand, if you use an electric bike with a motor power of 500 watts, you’ll get a good speed. A 500-watt motor will provide you 20 to 25 mph or 32.1869 or 40.2336 kph (full throttle.)
Note: The speed limit can differ based on different motor types and different manufacturers. You may find different speeds on both mid-drive and bub motors. m
Torque is the amount of rotational energy developed by the motor. And both 250 watt and 500 watt size motors offer separated torque and motor power. That means you’ll find significant differences in hill-climbing ability. Learn more from the section below:
- 250 Watt Electric Bike Motor: If you get an electric bike with a motor power of 250 watt, you’ll get maximum torque of 30Nm (ebike motor torque is commonly measured in Newton-meters N-m.) And this motor power is not good enough for going uphill. However, 250 watt motor-powered electric bikes are perfectly fine for flatland cruising.
- 500 Watt Electric Bike Motor: Using an electric bike with 500 watt motor power will give you maximum torque of 45N.m. That means it’s good enough for both flatland cruising and optimal uphill riding as well.
Note: If you often perform uphill riding, then it’s a good idea to have an electric bike with a 500 watt motor.
3. Weight Limit
When it comes to electric bikes, you should always respect the weight limit as excess weight can damage the bike. And both 250 watt and 500 watt size motors offer different weight ranges. Here is the weight limitation of both of them:
- 250 Watt Electric Bike Motor: If you weigh less than 100 pounds, an electric bike with 250 watts of motor power will be good enough for you. In short, a 250 watt electric bike will be the best choice for you, if you’re a lightweight person and don’t like uphill riding.
- 500 Watt Electric Bike Motor: On the other hand, if you’re a medium-weight person (100 to 150 pounds), you should get a 500-watt electric bike. And a 500w electric bike is a better choice for those who live in hilly areas and usually use a bike for long-distance riding.
As you can see, 250w and 500w electric bike motors offer plenty of differences with separate benefits. And it’s common that a more powerful motor will give you more speed, weight limit, and riding flexibility.
So now you can decide what motor-powered electric bike you want and which one can fulfill your needs. Since you know what is the difference between 250w and 500w motor on a e-bike, now you can easily determine the best one for you.
Keep in mind that if your weight is more than 110 pounds, and need to perform uphill riding, you should go for 500w. Get an e-bike today and enjoy your e-bike riding by ensuring all the safety gear.